Apple Brown Betty
- 5 large Golden Delicious apples (about 2 pounds), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cup apple cider
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 slices whole-wheat bread (1-ounce each) crusts included (to make about 2 1/4 cups crumbs)
- 3 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine apples, apple cider, 1 tablespoon brown sugar, vanilla, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until apples are tender but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoon butter until melted, remove from heat and transfer apple mixture to a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Place bread in food processor and process until crumbs are formed, about 15 seconds.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in microwave for 20 seconds.
- Toss crumbs with melted butter, walnuts, remaining 2 tablespoons brown sugar and remaining 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Scatter crumb mixture on top of apples and bake for 30 minutes, until topping is crisped and lightly browned.
From Food Network