Blueberry Oatmeal Grape-Nuts Cookies
- 1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup Grape-Nuts cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 12 pieces
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups frozen blueberries
- Adjust oven racks to upper third and lower third positions and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Line 2 baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toast oats in large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer to medium bowl.
- Stir in flour, Grape-Nuts, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Wipe out skillet.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Cook until browned, 6 to 8 minutes, occasionally swirling pan. The butter will foam during cooking; subsiding foam is an indicator that it's almost done.
- Once the solids are caramel brown remove pan from heat and immediately pour butter into a large bowl, scraping in all the solids.
- Whisk sugar, egg, and vanilla into brown butter.
- With a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, stir in oatmeal mixture. Mix until just combined.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoons on prepared baking sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Flatten the dough slightly with fingertips.
- Bake cookies until golden, 12 to 14 minutes, alternating sheets halfway through baking.
- Transfer to cooling racks, and cool cookies on sheets until firm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer cookies directly to cooling racks and cool completely.
- Serve at room temperature or completely cooled.
- Turned out very flat, wide and blue.
- Try cooking for 17 minutes.
From Serious Eats