Braised BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- One 3-pound chuck roast, rinsed and dried
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes (preferably plum tomatoes)
- 1 18-ounce bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce (or 2 1/4 cups of your favorite homemade barbecue sauce)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 sandwich or hamburger buns
- In a large, heavy pot, heat olive oil on medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, roughly chopping them in the pot.
- Add the barbecue sauce, increase heat to medium high and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the chuck roast; bring to a low simmer, cover and slow cook until meat is very tender, stirring occasionally, about 3 hours.
- Remove the meat from the pot. Use a fork and knife to separate the roast into small pieces. Set aside.
- Increase the heat on the pot to medium/medium-high, uncover, and reduce the liquid until thick. Stir often to prevent burning.
- Return the meat to the liquid in the pan. Warm both thoroughly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve on buns. Makes approximately 12 sandwiches.
From Simply Recipes