Cinnamon Streusel Buns
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (85°F to 95°F)
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk (85°F to 95°F)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 large eggs
- 5 1/2 cups (about) all-purpose flour
- 2 1/4 cups (packed) golden brown sugar
- 2 cups pecans, toasted, chopped (about 8 ounces)
- 4 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
Preparation (Dough) For dough
- Stir 1/2 cup lukewarm water and yeast in large bowl to blend.
- Whisk in lukewarm milk, melted butter, sugar and salt, then eggs.
- Add enough flour, 1/2 cup at a time, to form smooth but very sticky dough, stirring vigorously with wood spoon.
- Butter large bowl.
- Transfer dough to bowl; turn to coat with butter.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate overnight (do not punch down dough).
- Mix brown sugar, pecans and cinnamon in 4-cup measuring cup.
- Stir in melted butter; set aside.
- Butter 15x10x2-inch glass baking dish.
- Set aside 2 cups streusel; cover bottom of dish with remaining streusel.
- Turn dough out onto generously floured surface, scraping bowl with rubber spatula if dough sticks (do not punch down dough).
- Sprinkle dough lightly with flour.
- Roll out dough to 14-inch square.
- Sprinkle reserved 2 cups streusel over dough, leaving 3/4-inch plain border on all sides.
- Roll up jelly-roll style, enclosing streusel completely.
- Cut rolled dough crosswise in half, then cut each half crosswise into 7 rounds, each about 1 inch thick.
- Place rounds cut side down and evenly spaced atop streusel in dish (rounds will not cover streusel completely).
- Cover dish loosely with plastic wrap. Let dough rise in warm draft-free area until rounds are puffed and almost touching, about 45 minutes.
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F.
- Bake buns 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375°F.
- Continue to bake buns until golden brown, about 20 minutes longer.
- Immediately place large baking sheet atop dish with buns.
- Invert buns onto baking sheet.
- Cool at least 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.