- 1 Pie Crust
- 5 1/2 ounces all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup boiling water
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 8 ounces molasses, by weight
- 1 whole egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Poke holes around sides and into the bottom of the dough.
- Place a large piece of parchment paper on top of dough and fill with dry beans.
- Press beans into edges of dough, set on a baking sheet, and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove parchment and beans and continue baking until light golden in color, approximately 7 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and place on cooling rack.
- Make sure pie crusts are completely cooled while preparing the filling.
- Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees F.
- For the crumbs:
- Place the flour, brown sugar, butter and salt into the bowl of a food processor and process until it forms crumbs.
- Reserve 1/4 cup and set both aside.
- For the filling:
- Place the baking soda in a medium mixing bowl and pour the boiling water over it.
- Add the molasses, egg, and vanilla; whisk to combine.
- Add the larger amount of crumbs to the molasses mixture and whisk just to combine.
- Pour this mixture into the prepared crust.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of crumb mixture evenly over the top of the filling.
- Place pie on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until the filling puffs, begins to look dry and starts to crack slightly.
- Remove from the oven, transfer to a rack, and cool completely before cutting.
From Food Network