Autumn Vegetable Beef Stew
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean stewing beef, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 1 slice bacon, diced
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes (about 5 or 6 medium potatoes), diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups diced rutabaga
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crumbled
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- Cook bacon, beef, and onions a large skillet over medium heat until the beef is browned and bacon is cooked.
- Put the beef and onions in the slow cooker with the bacon, beef broth, apple cider, potatoes, carrots, celery, rutabaga, bay leaf, rosemary, and pepper.
- Cover and cook for 7 to 9 hours.
- Combine flour with cold water to form a smooth mixture.
- Stir into the beef mixture, turn to HIGH, and continue cooking for 15 minutes longer.
- Slightly bland, needs some seasoning
From Southern Food