- 12 ounces fresh or frozen cherries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- Butter, for skillet
- Preheat an oven to 400F
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 10" cast iron skillet.
- If using fresh cherries, rinse, stem and pit the cherries. Discard juice.
- If using frozen cherries, place the cherries into a colander and allow to thaw completely before using. Discard juice.
- Spread the cherries evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs and sugar until frothy and lightened in color.
- Add the milk, vanilla and flour and whisk to combine.
- Pour the batter over the cherries.
- Bake on the middle rack, uncovered, for 30 minutes or until golden on top and a knife comes out clean when inserted into the middle.
- Allow to cool for 30 minutes before removing from skillet, slicing and serving.
Notes This was adapter from the Dutch oven version.
From Food Network