Ginger Sweet-Potato Pie With Cinnamon Meringue
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 medium)
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger* (about 2 ounces)
- Pastry dough
- Pie weights or raw rice for weighting shell
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 5 large egg whites
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and line a baking sheet with foil.
- Prick sweet potatoes in several places with a fork and on baking sheet bake in middle of oven until very soft, 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
- When potatoes are cool enough to handle, halve and scoop out enough flesh to measure 2 cups, reserving remainder for another use.
- In a food processor purée flesh with all remaining filling ingredients except ginger until smooth.
- Finely chop ginger and stir into filling.
- Filling may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered.
- Bring filling to room temperature before proceeding.
- On a lightly floured surface with a floured rolling pin roll out dough into a 14-inch round (about 1/8 inch thick) and fit into a 9-inch (1-quart) glass pie plate.
- Trim dough, leaving a 1/2-inch overhang, and crimp edge decoratively.
- With a fork prick bottom and side of shell all over.
- Chill shell 30 minutes, or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line shell with foil and fill with pie weights or raw rice.
- Bake shell in middle of oven 25 minutes and carefully remove foil and weights or rice.
- Bake shell until just pale golden, about 10 minutes more.
- Pour filling into shell and bake pie in middle of oven 40 minutes.
Preparation (Meringue (after pie has baked 30 minutes))
- In a large metal bowl stir together sugar and cinnamon until combined well.
- Set bowl over a saucepan of simmering water and add whites, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove bowl from heat and with an electric mixer beat whites until they hold stiff, glossy peaks.
- Mound meringue in center of hot filling and spread almost to edge of pie.
- Bake pie in middle of oven until meringue is golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes more.
- Serve pie warm or at room temperature.