- 2 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cups milk
- 5 Tablespoons yellow cornmeal or johnnycake meal
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup cold milk
- Heavy or light cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease a 1 1/2 quart soufflé mold or baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter; set aside.
- Heat 3 cups of milk in a saucepan until it is close to a boil.
- Add the cornmeal and reduce heat to low, stirring until the mixture thickens (about 5 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and add the remaining butter, the molasses, maple syrup, salt, cinnamon, ginger and egg.
- Pour into buttered mold or dish.
- Place in the preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Pour the cold milk over the pudding and return to the oven.
- Cook for 1 hour and 30 minutes to 1 hour 45 minutes more or until the top is brown and crisp.
- Serve hot with cream.